Thursday, August 8, 2013

10 Tips when travelling to Non-Urban Areas

I've been trying to decide on what place (hotel? beach? restaurant?) to feature next and it was taking me forever since I had to choose from so many untouched photo albums in my online gallery and hard drive.

So I just decided to finally finish and feature this unpublished post I started writing like 4 months back. Hopefully it would be of some use to readers.


1. Assuming you are legally allowed to do so, pocket knives or multi-tools can be quite useful in non-urban areas.  Most backpackers here in the Philippines travel with carry ons only to save on additional costs from checked luggage.  Most airlines do not allow them carried on board for obvious reasons.

2. Don't just bring a first aid kit; learn how to do basic first aid.  This is especially true if your definition of traveling involves mountains, forests, and other non-urban areas.  I will no longer expound on this as this tip is a no-brainer.

3. Learn how to basic navigation.  Carry a compass and know how to use it in conjunction with a map
And know some basic navigation concepts: Sunset = west, sunrise = East.  It is also useful to orient oneself against certain landmarks, eg. "when I exit my hotel's main entrance, the Mountain X is to the northeast.  This tip is also necessary when capturing magnificent sunsets for your Instagram posts.


4. Related to the previous tip: Learn alternative routes and modes of transportation. What if the train you rode to the remote village breaks down and you are stuck midway?  Do you know of alternate modes of transportation that would take you to your destination?

5. Always carry some sort of illumination. Even a mountain day hike has the possibility of extending beyond sunset. If you haven't noticed, my compass above has an illuminated face plate, so you can even use it in the dark.  While it is inadvisable to hike in the dark, there might be instances wherein you are forced to do so.


I do not endorse any particular brand, but the ones above have certain attributes useful to me.  The topmost lamp in the center is waterproof and floats on water.  The red headlamp on the right has a blinking feature which is useful for signalling.  Yes I know I'm stating the obvious, headlamps also have the advantage of hands-free operation. Same goes for the orange light that  I can hang around my neck; it does however to dangle freely, so it may be cumbesome.  Finally the small Maglite flashlight is quite tough and reliable.

Matches, especially the water resistant ones can also be used. Especially if you are planning to cook in the wild or have a bonfire.  Nuff said. But remember, matches are definite no-no's for flights.

6. Know the basic phrases or words used by the locals for essential questions such as asking for directions, the restroom, ATM, etc.  Or if you can't memorize them, have a small guidebook or notes. Nowadays, most Internet enabled cellphones, tablets or other gadgets allow you to access useful websites for language translation while on the go

7. And when dealing with the locals, always try to be diplomatic.  Remote areas usually have different culture and traditions that visitors should respect even if they may not agree with them.

and if diplomacy fails...

8. Learn to defend yourself. Or better yet, learn to fight ala Jason Bourne. Don't get me wrong, most of the remote places backpackers usually visit are relatively safe compared to the big cities. (Note I am assuming most sane backpackers avoid war-torn areas) However, there might be instances wherein you will encounter a drunken hothead or a shady character.  I've experienced both instances and fortunately the situation was diffused without getting physical.

9. Try not to look like a "lost tourist"  Opening your travel guidebook or a large folding map in full public view is like shouting" hey I'm clueless and lost.  I'm such an easy target for pickpockets, con artists, and other sinister individuals"  Following this tip would probably reduce the chance of having to use Tip number 8.

10. I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, but alcohol  is a diuretic, i,e it makes your body lose more liquid. Save the drink when you are at the hotel bar and can crawl back safely to your room even at 2AM.  Also, don't you hate it when people bring the nightclub to remote mountains and islands?

Caffeine, commonly believed before to be a diuretic as well has a milder effect as long asa not consumed in large quantities.  So a Frapuccino before a minor climb might not be a bad idea after all

Well that's it for now...

I have more tips in mind, but I will leave it at 10 tips for now.  Also, several Pinoy travel bloggers already featured useful lists.  Mine just seems a bit different, as I grew up reading SOF, survival handbooks by the SAS and other elite units.  And I used to be in charge of our department' s contingency plan in case of earthquake, fire, and terrorist attack.

Trust me, I already toned this down. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment